Friday 8 April 2016

Blackout Poetry

I’ve officially passed my record of number of blogs posted for 2015.  Hooray!  I set myself a high bar last year by only posting twice.  Ha! I think my best approach was back in 2013 (was it really that long ago?) I challenged myself to try to make the same number, or more, of posts in any given month. It’s easy to look at that column over on the right hand side and try to play the numbers game.  But what is better, content or quantity?  I say ‘content’ as the quality would certainly vary.

I have half-heartedly signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo again this year.  Last year was a complete joke.  I’m hoping this year it will encourage me to finish off my creative work for uni which is currently due in about 5 months!! [insert expletive here] I know the overall arch of the story, it’s just a matter of getting it done.  I still need to leave myself time for rewriting and edits.  Oh boy, it’s not looking good.  I hope I can transfer to the DCA program.  I intend to do the same length of creative work either way (at least 70k), so I may as well, right?

On another random note, I set myself some goals the other day which I’ve yet to finish planning out.  One of them is to meet Jane Jensen.  I don’t know if this will ever happen, but that sure would be cool.  I’ve managed to meet some of my other literary heroes (Ian Irvine and Isobelle Carmody), but meeting Jane Jensen would be amazing since I’ve been a fan of hers for 20 years.  I was thinking of writing something for her when I have more free time.


I’ve been trying out a variation of Blackout Poetry at the moment just to de-stress from work.  It’s similar to the normal way of doing Blackout Poetry (as illustrated above), except I just take the key words and try to cobble something together (so the order of the words isn’t set).  I’m not sure if I’m 100% pleased with the result (but then, when am I ever?), but I think I’m getting better at it. Happy writing!

X


No comments:

Post a Comment