Saturday 13 July 2013

An Introduction

For some time now I have wanted to embark on a blog, but I didn't want to create one without theme or direction.  Last week when I was thinking about my fledgling writing career, I realised that many of the writers I look up to have something in common: they produce work on a regular basis.

Before I decided to pursue writing seriously, I was a music composition student at the Sydney Conservatorium.  Every day when I'd walk the halls of the Con, or even when sitting through a mind-numbing legal seminar for work, snippets of melody would pop into my head.  I'd come up with ideas for performance art incorporating string instruments and the banging of chairs against wooden floorboards.  I would scribble notes down even when I didn't have manuscript paper to hand.  I was inspired.  And just how many songs have I come up with since I dropped out four years ago?  Maybe two or three.

Music Notation - You're doing it wrong!!


Why was it that I was so inspired and musically creative during that period?  It was because I was practising music composition on a regular basis.  It was always at the back of my mind and so inspiration came easily to me.  I want to re-train myself in order to achieve both inspiration and to create work on a regular basis.  To do this I aim to post regular writing, reviews, examination of prose I admire and so on, anything to keep my mind in the right space.

I'd like to think I could write something daily but let's face it, I'm not that disciplined and I'd rather produce work of substance than post daily for the sake of posting dailySo perhaps the blog title 'Our Daily Prose' is a little misleading, but hey, it sounded better than 'Our Somewhat Regular Prose and Stuff'.

No comments:

Post a Comment