Thursday 8 October 2015

Life Update

I'm not sure if I can still classify this blog as 'semi-regular' when it's been over a year since I've updated...

A lot has happened in a year.  I've changed jobs, started studying and won a fellowship.  2015 has been the busiest year of my entire life.  Even busier than my HSC year.  Just ask my husband, who barely saw me the first 6 months of the year.  Thank goodness he is a patient person.  I'm getting better at juggling all of the balls now, though, and actually have time for a social life. Part of it is my desire to do about ten different things at once, the other part is being unable to say 'no' to three important opportunities.

I am really excited about winning the 2015 black&write! writing fellowship this year.  I have been watching the fellowship since it first launched a few years ago.  Each year I have always debated whether to put in an entry and decided not to.  This year I forced myself to finally do it and voila!  Let this be a lesson that trying is better than not trying at all.  I'm working with a great team of editors on my novel who are all really supportive and encouraging.  I hope I can make them and myself proud and get my work published next year.  There's a lot of work to do between now and then though to get the novel as good as it can be.  I don't want my first novel to be trash.

It is unavoidable that I will get bad reviews from someone, but I still 
don't want my book to end up here.  
(Is that The Client by John Grisham? That doesn't seem right.)

I also had a similar experience where I applied for a teaching job at the last minute and was successful in getting the position.  So I left my job of 7 years in television and am now teaching.  It's a change I was not planning to happen so soon but am very glad I made this decision.  I'd eventually like to work at a university as a lecturer in creative writing, so teaching law for now is getting me some good experience.  Teaching is much more work than I ever imagined but it is very rewarding, particularly when I see my students' accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment