Saturday 19 July 2014

Publishing Output Found Wanting

I feel like I've been slack this year.  I haven't by any stretch been avoiding writing, but my publication output hasn't reflected the work I've done and this is what I'm now concerned about.

To elaborate, every year I try to submit between 4-5 stories and/or poetry to various places and usually that's enough to get at least one successful publication.  The idea is to have at least one publication on my literary CV per year.  So far I don't have anything to show for 2014 and that's starting to worry me.

So what have I been doing this year, if not being published and certainly not updating my blog on a regular basis?

I suppose the main thing I've been working on is my novel and my long short story. These aren't the kinds of things that I am able to churn out for publication in a month.  When I was at university I'd be writing short stories all the time for assessment, so submission was easier because I'd have material. I'm hoping I can finish off the long short story in August and somebody will publish it, although even then there's no guarantee it will have that magic '2014' number on the publication since we're now in the second half of the year and these things can take time from submission to publication.

Continuing on as the convenor for my writers' group has also taken up some time and literary enthusiasm.  I'm considering delegating that task to another person next year since I've had the role for 2 years now.  But I suppose the biggest culprit is my impending wedding, which just happens to be next Saturday.  Planning a wedding is deciding to spend 600 hours planning something that will only takes 6 hours in length.  As much as I am looking forward to it, I am also looking forward to not worrying about it.

I have also just been offered a research place at the University of Western Sydney.  I can't wait to get started.  This is something I've been thinking about doing for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment